Visa and Travel Information
As of 7 March 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without any travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption, or meet the criteria to be in an exempt category, to enter Australia.
Travel to Australia is only available if an individual is automatically exempt from Australia’s COVID-19 border restrictions, has been granted an individual exemption and has undertaken a negative 7-day pre-departure COVID-19 test to show to airline staff. Please refer to the links on this page for the most up to date information and changes from the Australian Government and refer to the following checklist before travelling to Australia.
Overseas Travellers (Exemptions)
Some travellers are automatically exempt from Australia’s border restrictions and do not need to apply for an individual exemption. Among other groups, this includes:
- Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia;
- Fully vaccinated eligible visa holders; and
- Individuals travelling to Australia under a safe travel zone arrangement.
A full list of travellers who are automatically exempt from border restrictions is available here.
Domestic visitors are no longer required to quarantine or hold a permit to enter Victoria from another Australian state or territory to visit, work, transit, or if you are a cross-border resident.
Participants, attendees and speakers that will not be working, performing or otherwise be paid to contribute at the event may be eligible to apply for the following visa options:
- Visitor (subclass 600)(Business stream) visa. For more information click here
- Electronic Travel Authority – ETA (subclass 601). For eligible passport holders and more information click here.
- Visitor (subclass 651)(Business Stream) visa. For eligible passport holders and more information click here.
A speaker, presenter, exhibitor, or other contributor invited to participate in an event by an Australian organisation may be eligible to apply for a:
- Temporary Activity (subclass 408)(Invited Participant) visa. For more information click here.
Before you arrive, download the Service Victoria Check-in app to stay safe and up to date when visiting Melbourne.
Here are a few useful links to keep you in the loop:
passports.gov.au – Guidance foreign vaccination certificates